Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Kindergarten

Miss Makenna started off her first day of Kindergarten by waking up with her eye swollen shut.  Poor kid.  Not exactly how we planned on things going.  Regardless she kept a positive attitude and while she wasn’t excited about taking pictures she posed nonstop for me so I could get those important First Day Of School pics.  So it seems only right that if I put her through the following torture that I make sure to share via every social media outlet I’m on.  =) 
Now for the details of her day…

She absolutely loved getting ready for her first day.  I was worried she would cry when we dropped her off but it was like as soon as she walked into the room she was a completely different child.  Suddenly she was a “big kid” and had no need for all the extra hugs & kisses I was trying to give her.  I eventually stopped once I realized she looked slightly embarrassed, asked if she was okay and then walked out when she replied with, “I’m fine mom, geez.”  =)  My sweet little girl didn’t need me as much as I thought she would and with that came a mix of emotions.  Part of me was sad that we were crossing another milestone off the list and that she no longer needed me to hold her hand.  The other part of me was proud of her and not to sound cocky but I was proud of myself as well.  It’s been a rough road these past 5 years but we’ve overcome so much together.  I have found strength I never knew existed.  I know I don’t always do things right and I’ve made  mistakes but I’m learning & growing along the way.  I become a better parent every single day.  Now I just need to make it through the next few hours until its time to pick her up.  Let the countdown begin.


*UPDATE*

We decided to go to dinner with the Huls family afterschool so we could hear all about her day.  She told us story after story about the friends she made, what she did, eating in the cafeteria etc.  It was great to see her so happy about school.  I have a feeling she is going to have a great year.  After dinner we went to the afterhours clinic to check on her eye since by this time it was much more swollen.   Turns out they think it’s either a bad reaction to a mosquito bite or a spider bite.  Great!  So its Benadryl and a warm compress to help the swelling go down.  We survived our first day of Kindergarten.  Whew!






No comments:

Post a Comment